APT’s One Year Musical Theatre Skills based training Course is led by musical theatre Guru Gerry Tebbutt (Former Head of Musical Theatre at GSA) & Jill Francis two of the industry’s leading lights in Musical Theatre Training.
The course is vocational and designed to enhance and further any previous training already received. It is aimed at students 17 years upwards who are looking for an intensive one year course at an affordable cost.
It provides a strong technical skills base, enabling students to move on to further training in Musical Theatre. We believe that Musical Theatre training should give prominence to acting in order that singing and dance is approached through acting skills. A Musical Theatre performer is not just a singer and dancer but to become a triple threat performer must have the necessary tools of the actor.
You will be given information on drama schools and the training they offer, along with guided preparation for auditions. Choices of audition material will be worked on throughout the course in order that the student is confident and well equipped.
Class sizes are kept small to allow for high levels of individual attention.
The course is a one-year full-time intensive training (October-July) consisting of three terms of twelve weeks. 20 years+
The classes will provide a strong technical base in acting, singing and dance. Each student will receive personal attention and feedback from the tutors in order to further their individual ability in all three disciplines and to achieve the highest standard. The classes will show the importance of not only being able to work as a solo artist but also working as part of a company. Learning the skills of the profession is vital and there is very little academic work. This allows the student to focus and invest the time required to absorb and process the full time practical training that is offered. We ensure that all students have and maintain a high level of fitness throughout the training in order to acquire the stamina demanded of the triple threat performer.
Technical and physical skills continue while emphasis is given to performance values. ie: how to present yourself to an audience, how to create character, how to communicate through text, lyrics and dance and how to use your physicality to advantage. We give you the confidence and skills required to perform and present yourself to an audition panel. We advise on repertoire in order that song and speech choices are relevant to today’s market and we look at your unique selling points and casting.
This term requires the student to deliver competent and confident work in the three disciplines. New techniques are introduced – radio and television presentation, television commercials and voice overs. We move into intensive performance work that deals with making the connection between the physical and technical skills acquired and the use of them proficiently and effortlessly in performance. Throughout this term we continue to assess your potential and together find out who you really are and what you have to offer.
During this term students have the option to take their accredited ATCL Diploma examination in Musical Theatre.
Subjects covered during the course
- Musical Theatre Styles
- Body conditioning
- Singing and vocal technique
- Repertoire Class
- Group Singing
- Song Presentation
- Vocal Styles
- History of Musical Theatre
- Text and the spoken word
- Acting skills
- Sight reading
- Monologue Presentation
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN APPLYING:
- Entry to APT’s One Year Musical Theatre Course is by audition.
- Applicants must complete the online application form and pay a non-refundable audition fee of £30 via bank transfer.
- Applicants should return the application form as soon as possible as places onto the course are limited.
- Applicants will be notified of their audition date upon receipt of the application form.
- Notification of auditions may be at short notice. Applicants should therefore be prepared to audition at short notice.
- Applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their audition within two weeks from the date of the audition.
- Our minimum age of entry for the One Year Musical Theatre course is 17 years.
- Please note, there is no upper age limit for this course.
- Read our audition procedures.
- Full Course Fee: £5,850.00
- Accepting a place on any APT course means that you, the individual, will willingly assume responsibility for the payment of all tuition fees for that course.
- Failure to pay fees will result in withdrawal of the individual student’s place on the Course until any outstanding payment due has been received in full.
- If for any reason a student should leave or not be able to continue or complete their course with APT, no fees already paid to the Academy will be refundable.
- On acceptance of a place on any of APT’s full-time courses, individuals must secure that place with a non-refundable deposit of £1,000 (One Thousand Pounds Sterling). The Deposit is the individual students guarantee of their place on the APT course and is counted as part of the overall fee.
- The remaining balance of the course fees for the year £4,850.00 must be received by the academy on or before August 31st for the year of entry.
Fees MUST be paid via bank transfer only by August 31st for the year of entry